Another Day in McCall

Thursday, I had the opportunity to spend the day working in McCall, Idaho.  Usually my visits to McCall are in the warmer months, when I can take walks by the lake, hike nearby trails, and visit with friends while enjoying a cup of coffee.  This is only my third time visiting McCall in the winter months; once was for basketball in junior high, and once was to go snowshoeing with Ben back when I was still going to college.  The visits have always been laid back, and this one, even though it was for work, was still easygoing.

A month ago, I set a date to provide a book fair for one of the private schools in McCall.  This was my first time running a book fair, and I was super nervous.  Thursday finally came, and I got up at 5 so we could get to the school in time for student drop-off (it takes a little under two hours to drive there).  I drove past the parking lot entry twice before finally managing to see it in time to pull in.  This didn’t help my nerves in the least.  My kids had stayed with my folks, but Ben accompanied me.  His presence made me brave, and he also helped me carry in heavy boxes of books, and move tables to where I needed them.  Once we were setting up, my mind calmed down; it’s funny how doing a job erases related anxieties.

The book fair got started right away.  I was still setting up as people trickled in.  Later that morning, I got a kick out of watching the kids look through all the books and make their wish lists.  It is always one thing to think about which books would be great for certain children, and quite another to see which books they are actually interested in.  Still, there were only a couple books that went untouched.

During the slow times (when students were in class), I enjoyed the peace and quiet by putting books back neatly on the tables (yes, I said enjoyed).  I must have rearranged them four times before deciding on my favorite display.  I guess it is safe to say I know from whom Shira gets his knack for decorating.  Once my display was pretty well set, I sat and worked on my current knitting project.

I have been knitting these monster bum pants for a friend’s little girl.  It has been taking me a long time even though I’m enjoying the process.  I suppose it could have something to do with the Christmas slippers I made at the last minute?  Who knows.  The pants are almost done now!


I’ve come across a couple little surprises while knitting these.  First, the waist is higher than I imagined it would be.  After looking at other people’s pictures of the same pants on toddlers and babies, I am reassured that the high waist is perfectly normal and probably functions as another way to keep the pants on.

Second, I have noticed that I’ll need to go back and adjust the areas where I switched colors.  I tried to weave in the ends as I went because I despise weaving them in after I’m done.  It is such tedious work.  The first method I tried made little bunched-up areas that I didn’t think would be very comfortable.  I changed my method near the end of the first leg and I’ve kept it throughout the second.  The color changes feel much nicer, and they look nicer too.  I hope fixing the first leg after the fact will work out.

While I was knitting, I contemplated how laid back I felt and how exciting this first book fair was for me and for the teachers and kids.  How could I ever have felt nervous?

In the end, I came away from the day unscathed, and maybe even a little more relaxed and confident than before.  McCall always leaves me better than it finds me.  Thursday was no exception.


5 thoughts on “Another Day in McCall

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s